Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Her

All the times I get into a relatively uncongested bus, I try to quickly find my way to a seat. And whenever, I find myself on any of the seats that comes right over the wheels, I think of her... Even today I did.
Now, all she had wanted to do was to keep out the creature that crept in from here and there everyday after her husband left for office. Especially after that day when she had slept off in the warm afternoon only to wake up with its legs sticking right near her face.
From a reclining position it seemed particularly scary. All she could see was its eyes that seemed like bottomless rooms. The creature did not do any harm. It just sat there and made her feel like itself -- empty.
It was that day that she decided that if keeping the creature out was not possible, she would have to get out herself. It was three'o'clock and her husband would be back only at seven. So there was no way he would know she had been out.
That must be how, she decided to take a bus ride on that yellow day in Chennai.
And that is not how I think of her everytime I am in a bus. I just make up new things each time.
What I do know of her for sure is that she was sitting on the seat over where the wheels are and the floor of the bus gave way. Her legs got trapped in the wheels and she was hospitalised.
This I know because it was in the papers the next day. I cannot tell you if she got okay, because I did not follow up.
And that because, the only times I think of her are when I get into a bus, and get a place to sit. The seat over the wheels.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

geez and my favorite seat was the one thats closest to the rear wheels.

needless to say, i am changing positions :)

keep writing.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Beq said...

that was creepy all right. You could call the creature kodambakkam

1:32 AM  
Blogger Nandhu said...

seena,
u have written too much for me to read. will do so on a rainy day!

8:58 AM  
Blogger G! said...

It's a lovely entry, one I've read very many times by now... Which is a subtle way of saying that you need to update now :)

ps. you've been tagged, visit my blog for details

10:01 PM  
Blogger Nandhu said...

i finally read it, and frankly i dont understand. and notoriously writers like u dont explain.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home