Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My beautiful lover




Today I woke up to see she had painted me red
And tied little bells around my waist
She wanted the world to worship me today
Once inside, she sets me free
My beautiful lover
My insanity

And so I am all set to dance before you
My hair shivering like light in the rain
So will you worship me today?
I have no womb, no breasts, no shame
Because she has set me free
My beautiful lover
My hysteria, independent of full moons

I will walk to you,
So you can see me like this
If I laugh or cry or break
And even if I bleed...
You know it is only divine
Because I am free

(This poem is inspired by the 'velichappad' or the oracle. As a child I remember the velichappad visiting my grandfather's home. But I have never seen a female velichappad when possessed. It was only the other day that I saw one such act on a TV channel. There is nothing like it. It is madness.)

13 Comments:

Blogger G! said...

Brilliant.

Can't say anything else. It's just amazing.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Prem Paul Ninan said...

Yes absolutely! G is so right! How did you get so brilliant? And what is Vellichapad?:)

2:17 PM  
Blogger rama srinivasan said...

i see that u don't need any of my scratching this time.
"I have no womb, no breasts, no shame
Because she has set me free" -- they should teach you poem gender classes

11:11 PM  
Blogger seena said...

thanks ppl...
pp: what is happening buddy? ur malayalam classes begin now. vellichappad is malayalam for oracle.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Dex said...

Ah, nice :)

11:36 AM  
Blogger 3inone said...

This one paints quite a vivid picture. I could almost imagine myself in the crowd of red-clad women.

10:40 PM  
Blogger janaki_me said...

i loved this poem, especially the lines
If I laugh or cry or break
And even if I bleed...

5:45 AM  
Blogger Praseetha said...

hi seena,

Prasi here...do you remember me my postman....??? U r writing really well. All the best and keep it up!!

12:52 AM  
Blogger Nandhu said...

ok. time for next ununderstandable poem.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Nandhu said...

ok. time for the understandable poem, at least.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Manju Edangam said...

Just thought of adding my thoughts and know your opinion.

I think in North Malabar(Kannur and Kasaragod) where spirit worship is still alive there are two types of media(or oracles).

Komaram is the medium for goddess(Bhagavathi) and Belichhappad is for other spirits(serpent, other animals, hero spirits etc...). Can anybody confirm this?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Tys on Ice said...

Funny. I saw the same thing in Aerosmith Rock Concert.

As a child vallichapadu used to scare the pants off me. Once I spat at one out off sheer terror. This lasted untill I went to college and was introduced to the first headbanger. World, take note : Mallus did it first.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Nandhu said...

hey,
readers want the next post. i do at least.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home