Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Memory

On memory

It is true that memory is an important thing in our lives. But, unfortunately, the importance of learning things by heart has overtaken learning things by understanding.
What you learn, you remember.
And that is memory.
So if you have not understood something, but still remember it, it could be because you have learnt it by heart.
I want to give you an example,
of my memory:
When I was younger, I used to read a lot,
I read many books,
But I hardly ever, remembered what was in the books.
The reason for that I feel now is that there was a limitation to what I could understand, and all that remained is how I felt when I read something,
so if you ask me who my favorite author is, I cannot tell you who it is and why it is so.
I remember though that The Mill on the Floss moved me,
It was the first book that I remember that moved me to an extent that I was up all night, just to read and feel.
I can tell you what it was that I was moved by,
But I cannot remember even a single line from the book.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, there is also this thing, that the human mind, or at least some minds,
remember the bad things more than the good,
this could be because it is the bad that you understand, feel and internalize the most.
I do not know. As for myself, though I remember the bad times in my life, I am unable entirely to learn anything from the bad.
And hence, my mind does not retain it.
If I talk about the bad time,
I am able to remember it too,
But I cannot talk about it much because I do not think they are worth talking about.

Do we lose a lot by not remembering the bad?
Do we, as a race, lose a lot?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, what if nothing bad has happened to you?
I am afraid that is a burden,
you will have to carry,
all your life, 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slyvia Plath asks, Is there no escaping the mind?
Of course there is dear Slyvia,
I miss you now.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home